Monday, July 31, 2017

Blog Stage 6: Comment on a Colleague's Work #1

In my classmate's blog, "A Real Nation," their editorial, Winners not losers, points out the lack of bipartisan cooperation within Congress and its detrimental effects to the American people. They argue that party allegiance has prevented most members of the Legislative Branch to stand up for what they believe is right or coming to compromises in fear of angering members of their party and risking reelection chances. They believe that this lack of bipartisanship has prevented our nation from improving and addressing issues within the American democratic system.

I agree fully with my classmate's overall argument. Especially in times like these, particularly regarding the position of the Affordable Care Act in Congress, cooperation between the Democratic and Republican party is pivotal to solve issues and progress our nation. Congress hasn't agreed on a bill to replace the ACA if it is repealed because the Republican party refuses to collaborate with the Democrats in Congress to come to a compromise. This isn't said enough and I am glad that my classmate pointed out how unproductive this lack of collaboration is making our government.

Their argument is strong and they don't tiptoe around the issue, which I admire. However, I wish there was a bit more evidence and exemplification to back up my colleague's argument. There is constant chaos in Congress and I wish they had brought more of that to light. Additionally, multiple members of Congress have obviously failed to defy their party even when they fail to align with their party on a particular issue. Bringing in a specific example, like how Donald Trump promotes such an occurrence, would solidify my classmate's argument.

Overall, this is an excellent editorial. It brings up an issue that many are afraid to talk about and my colleague executes it brilliantly. While it could use more specific evidence, it does an excellent job of getting straight to the point and exposing a serious issue that is a threat to democracy.

No comments:

Post a Comment